Frequently Asked Questions || Doctor of Pharmacy || Pharm. D
Pharmacy is a science-based health profession concerned with the preparation, formulation of medicines for their intended use in the treatment and prevention of disease.
The course includes the source & design of drugs, formulation into different dosage forms, action of these drugs on the body and therapeutic management of medicines in patient care during a number of specially designed integrated molecules. Basic subjects include:
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Basic Medical Sciences & Allied Subjects
Pharmacists are health care professionals who have the abilities and skills that are necessary to achieve outcome related to:
- Preparation and formulation of quality standard medicines.
- Ensuring safety & efficacy of the drugs.
- Providing pharmaceutical care to the patient.
- Developing & managing medication distribution control system.
- Managing the pharmacy
- Drug marketing
- Drug delivery
- Promoting rational drug therapy
- Drug designing
Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm. D) is of five years duration after F.Sc or B.Sc (Pre-medical).
As of 2014, we are inducting 4th Batch of Pharm. D.
Our first batch of pharmacists shall graduate in 2016 In Shaa Allah.
Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm. D) is affiliated with Government Sector University of Sargodha. It is the first institution imparting pharmacy education in the periphery of Rawalpindi.
50 students are inducted in one academic year.
Prospectus and Application forms can be downloaded or obtained directly from the office (or) downloaded from the website & filled in for admission.
The last date of submission of application form is mentioned on application form, web site and will also be announced in the news paper.
The minimum academic qualification for admission of the candidate to Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm. D) shall be:
- F.Sc (Premedical) or equivalent qualification with at least 60% marks from any recognized institution in Pakistan or abroad.
- B.Sc from any Pakistani university with intermediate science(F.Sc); Examination (pre-medical) with at least 60% marks or equivalent to be determined by the Chairman inter board committee Islamabad for recognition of qualification.
The merit will be determined as under:
Matric = 10% F.Sc/Equivalent/B.Sc = 50% Aptitude test/interview = 40%
The fee structure is compatible and relatively less than other institutes in the Rawalpindi/Islamabad vicinity.
Hostel facilities are available for both male and female students.
Good sports facilities are available at college sport complex. Sports week is an annual event organized by the college authorities. Students are encouraged to right article for college magazine. Besides there are quiz competitions, workshop and seminars held on health related articles.
Annual system of teaching with three term examination and one final professional examination will be followed.
Margalla College of Pharmacy is registered with and has been granted NOC by the Pharmacy Council of Pakistan (PCP).
There are seven dedicated and 2 shared well equipped Laboratories as per Pharmacy Council of Pakistan (PCP) requirements.
Dedicated senior and experienced M.Phil and PhD qualified faculty for Pharm. D subjects.
Pharmacy is a rewarding profession; quite a numbers of opportunities are available;
- Industrial Sector as production pharmacist
- Hospital pharmacist
- Pharmaceutical care in the field of clinical pharmacy
- Production specialist in govt. drug regulatory authorities
- Drug inspectors in govt. drug regulatory authorities
- Academic institution of Pakistan imparting pharmacy education
Permanent, Pensionable and Structured Government jobs are available as hospital pharmacist, drug inspectors, academics and in drug control administration of the health department of all provisional and federal government starting from BPS -17 up to BPS - 21.
Unlike other fields except MBBS & BDS, Pharmacy is a worldwide accredited & recognized profession. Pharmacy Council of Pakistan (PCP) has liaisons with Pharmacy Councils of the respective countries and our Pharm. D is recognized worldwide.
Every Pharmacist must appear in a test of the respective country's council before getting registered as a Pharmacist in that country. This requirement is mandatory even for their own citizens and graduates.
There is an acute shortage of pharmacists abroad and for that matter the profession is highly paying and acknowledged.